Friday, September 17, 2004

A Day in the Life of an Unqualified ESL Teacher

You are probably fairly curious about what school life is like. I will explain my typical day in the junior high. I arrive at school at about 8:00. The students have already been at school for about an hour practicing sports and just hanging out. At 8:05 everyday there is a teachers meeting. The children retreat to their classroom (each grade has one classroom and they never switch rooms unless they are doing art, band, science, or gym). I sit in the office and attempt to listen to the meeting, but I end up zoning out due to lack of understanding. School begins at 8:30. I usually teach 3 English classes a day. Usually they are at 8:30, 9:30 and 10:30. Class lasts 50 minutes which gives the students 10 minutes between classes (that would have been nice at Lakewood High!). I usually do the warm-up or an activity at the beginning of class. My 1-nen sei (6th grade) students are probably the most average. They aren't too comatose or too genki (lively, frisky). 2-nen sei (7th grade) is another story. The boys are extremely genki when I am trying to talk in class and they mock everything I say. They all chose the name Charlie as their American name. They are starting to become "cool". However, when the other teacher is talking or they are doing a worksheet they all fall asleep. So Japanese students aren't as well behaved as you may think. 3-nen sei (8th grade) just stare at me. They never get lively, even if they are playing a game. I guess this can be a good thing, but then it makes class unexciting. After I do my activity, Ito-sensei, the JTE (Japanese English Teacher) conducts the rest of class.

Then comes lunch. I eat lunch in the classroom everyday with the students, rotating grades each day. The students serve their own lunches (they wear face masks, hair nets and aprons) and all sit down. The teacher folds their hands and says "Itadakimasu" before anyone eats. It basically means thanks for this food. Then we eat. Everyday there is rice (sometimes with things in it, small fish, veggies etc.), then there is some sort of boiled vegetables or weird salad (not very tastey), and a plate of fish with coleslaw type salad. I hear there is bread day once a month. Warm, gross, Japanese milk is served for a beverage, I choose not to drink it. After the meal we fold our hands again and say "Gochisosama deshita" which means thanks for all the makers of the food (the people, the earth, the rain etc).

After lunch I retreat back to my desk and find ways to keep busys. Plan lessons, make bulletin boards, email, study Japanese. At 3:30 the students clean the school and at 4:00 I get to go home. These past few days I have been staying a little later because I have two students competing in the English Speech Contest next week. They have to memorize a speech and present it in front of judges. They are doing an excellent job though! And finally, at about 7:00, after practicing their sports and clubs, the students get to go home.

Brief comment on Shogakko (elementary school): I love it. Everytime I am there it reminds me why I have chosen this job. The kids are so excited to see you and play with you. They greet me as soon as I walk in the door with hugs. They climb all over me like little monkeys. They call me sarada (salad) and think my last name is McDonalds. They love to play every silly game. We have so much fun and they are absolutely sweet. I am at two shogakkos Ogawa has 35 students total in all 6 grades, and Tama has about 80 students. Ogawa is my favorite.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shogakko is the redeemer of my week. I have about 6(?) and I go every Wednesday. I hate children as a rule, but compared to JHS they are the more fun of two EEEEEEVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLLLSSssssssssssssss. Although...in Shogakko you play many games (physical) but in JHS I get to play with their heads. Let's brainwashing!

-Jess

3:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home