Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Tap Dancers Anonymous

Tap dancing is an addiction for me. It is one of the only things that I 'have to have' other than the necessities (water, food, shelter). I am just starting to go through withdrawal here in Japan. I can feel in my body that I have not been tapping enough or learning new moves. I need it, I want it, and I almost can't have it. I need to remedy this urge to tap dance. I have taken a few steps to feed my addiction.

1. Making the stage at the Board of Education my own personal performance hall. I strap on my tap shoes, crank up my boombox and improv. I have even gone as far as starting to choreograph a routine for no reason other than to become creative or teach myself something.
2. I have a yearning to be taught something new. I am not creative when it comes to making up steps or routines. I have emailed past teachers to ask for their advice on videos to buy or the tap scene in Japan.
3. After some guidance from these roll models I have started to surf the internet. First, I researched the history of tap. I thought of writing an essay to send into Zenzen (the ALT newspaper in my ken), but decided that only I would take interest in that. Then I started researching tap dancers in Japan. I have stumbled on a few names.
4. I emailed these Japanese tap dancers and still waiting for a reply. I am interested in seeing a performance or taking a workshop, anything tap will do.
5. I have been showing my old videos in classes at the elementary school. They love it! I have videos from when I was 6 all the way up to last year. Obsession.
6. In my 6 nensei I taught a short little tap class. The teacher and all the students learned to shuffle and flap like the rest of them. I had one student, a boy named Tsuyoshi who got really into it. He put tacks on the bottom of his shoes and challenged me to a tap duel. For those of you that don't know, tap dancing is built around challenging and mimicking people. This boy was WAY ahead of the game. He put up a fair duel and had everyone in tears laughing.
7. This is very far fetched but satisfies my urge for rhythm. I have started taking Japanese taiko (drumming) which has allowed me to express myself using drums. Thanks to my tap background I am having a fairly easy time picking up the rhythms. That got me to thinking, how fun would it be to improv to the beat of a Japanese drum. Talk about a cultural tap jam.

This is my obsession. I feel that everyone has one, healthy or not. You can decide whether mine is healthy or not.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cinnacism said...

My stars, I had no idea!

6:27 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

indeed, it's a sickness...i heard from a professional tap dancer in japan today...unfortunately she teaches in kyoto, maybe i will take a class one weekend soon...hummm

2:37 PM

 
Blogger mshotfeet said...

Hey...just catching up on your blog, now that I know you are safe! Had another idea, something I've always wanted to do but have had no time. Watch all the old movies and steal steps from the tap dancing scenes, like Fred & Ginger, Kelly and even the Bojangles and the Nicholas brothers...maybe I can make a clip DVD to send to you!

3:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home