Monday, September 06, 2004

Stop the Violence

I have been very lucky that in my life I have been able to experience 2nd hand (I won't say first because I wasn't there when these tragedies were occurring) the Holocaust and the Atomic Bomb of Hiroshima. It really enhances the experience to be present at the exact place these events have taken place. Both of these events have killed hundreds of thousands if not millions of people. I don't want this site to be controversial but I feel it is extremely important to stop the War in Iraq and all wars so many more innocent people aren't killed.

Walking down the streets of Hiroshima is amazing if you take the time to realize that 60 years ago it was NOTHING. And when I say nothing, I should say negative nothing because nothing was even supposed to be able to grow there for 75 years. Science was once again proven wrong. Hiroshima is a city bustling with business, people and life. The main attractions are the Atomic Bomb and Peace Memorial Museum, the Peace Park, and the Atomic Bomb Dome (the only remaining existence from before the bomb). The museum is full of information about the bomb and its effects. Some interesting facts are, Albert Einstein was the first to mention building an atomic bomb and he knew the consequences that it could demolish an entire city. Second, the mayor of Hiroshima writes a letter to the leader of a nation any time they are building or going to test an nuclear weapon. To this day he asks them not to test the weapon due to the consequences of the city in which he lives. When the bomb was dropped temperatures reached around 3000 degrees Celsius. It is amazing anyone lived. Skin hung from the bodies of victims and many people died of thirst and lack of help. The museum contains articles of clothes and items found on the street as well as skin and deformed fingernails of the victims. It was a tragedy that people are still living with today.

On a related note I was able to go out and about in the city. This included going to bars where many marines hang out. There is a base in Iwakuni which is actually in Yamaguchi-ken. I apologize if any of you readers are military men or have friends/family in the military. This is a generalization and I know generalizations are bad. I am proud of what soldiers are doing to defend our country but the men I met this weekend were anything but good. They first of all they were obnoxious and didn't pay any regard to the culture they are living in. Secondly, I mentioned to a bunch of them that I live in Yamaguchi which is where they live and they had no idea they lived there. That is like not knowing you live in Texas or Ohio. I understand that they aren't in Japan by choice and probably don't want to be there but it is important to familiarize yourself with your surroundings. They weren't having a hard time going out and having a good time in Hiroshima. Isn't one of the main marketing techniques that the military uses to recruit people are "you can see the world!", so if this is why some have joined why don't they take interest in the culture? Sorry I had to mention that but I think it is important for those of you that are back to home to know how your country men are behaving, those who are defending us.

Here is a neat story. Walking through the peace park I was stopped by a man to sign a petition to end the use of nuclear weapons and of course give a donation. This man was a 2nd generation bomb victim, which I thought was amazing. Of course, I signed the petition and emptied my wallet of all the change I had. I continued to walk through the park and an old woman stopped me. I believe she had lived through the bomb, I didn't understand all of her Japanese. She asked me if she could pray for me. Now, I was thinking she wanted money and I had just gotten rid of all my change. But I continued to close my eyes like she asked and she raised her right hand in front of my face and prayed for me for about a minute. I was very confused, why was she doing this? What did she want from me? I had no clue. When I opened my eyes she said "Arigatoo gozaimasu" and I went on my way. She had just wanted to pray for me. That's all, no strings attached. The people in this culture continue to amaze me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Wow, what a great story. I can't wait to go Sarah.

Dan

2:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished reading your comments on war. It is refreshing to see that a person of your age has vision. As I am quite a bit older than you (40), here's some of what I've learned in relation to what you've written.

Einstein was ALWAYS a pacifist. As a physicist, he, of course, was very well aware of the repercussions of splitting an atom. Many of his worries came to reality when the German and US governments immediately grasped the "bombing" potential of such atomic science. There are many benefits to splitting an atom. Most of all being fusion, whose powerful resources have yet to be fully tapped. Fission, not fusion, is what happens in an atomic blast - such as in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Fusion, in comparison, can generate enormous power with no radiation fallout.

Here's a little something to consider. Humanity's rapid consumption of the Earth's natural resources will reach a point - relatively soon - where alternative energy resources will be required. For example, solar energy. A much better and cleaner energy source I think you'd agree. Well, solar energy is energy from nuclear reactions in the sun - FISSION. Einstein knew of this science. He was ALWAYS very distraught - much as you are - by the fact that politicians were using good science for death and destruction and he gave very many speeches about the damaging impact of our country's endeavor to make an atomic bomb.

In your comments you have set the spectrum of humanity. I have also experienced other cultures - most recently, Muslim culture in a Muslim country (Uzbekistan) with an American military presence. Simply put, the range of humanity is astounding. From an ability of human beings to destroy one another, to the potential for a young person to give herself to the world - like yourself. At my age I have often considered this conflict. That is, when humanity is taken as a whole, are we good or are we bad? Where will humanity go? Where will our propensity for killing one another take us? People like you and people like the lady who prayed for you give hope to the world and hope to me.

Above all, maintain the positive look at the life you are seeing. This world has so much hardship that it can break a person who has vision (and feelings) for it. For example, what has recently happened in Chechnya - and the reasons why a group of people would want to kill so many children - is mind-boggling. It's enough for me to question humanity, to question our propensity for waging war and revenge, and to ponder how Divinity can allow for all of this.

Lastly I'll leave you with a story of a family in Mexico that I had the good fortune of knowing. Many years ago I worked for an orphanage in Mexico. Part of my responsibilities were to help a poor family in town who were trying to keep their children alive amid all of their hardships. They lived on the city dump. Seriously. The family took their baths in a river that ran through the dump - with car tires, grocery carts and all. And they had ten children. Why ten children? Because they all had such low life expectancy that the parents' believed that if they had more children, one of them might grow old enough to be there when things change. They had hope. And they had love. And the children had the biggest smiles I've ever seen in my life.

Keep up the good work. Spread the good energy.

12:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, Aunt Peggy sent me your blog and I loved your comments on how the experience of being in Hiroshima has made you feel about the war in Iraq. Very thoughtfully put! Safe travels, Jessica

2:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home