Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Natural Disasters

My parents are now in Japan. It is really wierd being with them, but very good. I picked them up in Fukuoka and we spent Saturday shopping around. My dad is pointing out everything that strikes him as different and unusual. He is a very patriotic man. I was a little worried how they would handle the Japanese food but their first meal of yakiniku was a success. We have been eating lot of western food just because I haven't had it in ages. Sunday we went to Costco on the way home. I was standing by the bakery section when the floor started to shake. I was thinking 'what the heck is going on in the bakery?' when I realized it was an earthquake. The whole building was shaking. I immediately looked above me to see what could potentially fall on me and saw the whole ceiling shake. I think it lasted about 30 seconds (that felt like 5 minutes). The store was fine and we were fine but a little shook up so we left. We headed to the expressway only to find out that it was closed. We had to drive route 3 the whole way home. A 3 hour journey took us 7 hours to get home. It was awful, tons of traffic and through cities the whole way. I am a little apprehensive to go to Nagasaki this coming weekend. Hope everyone in Japan that is reading this was OK during the quake.

7 Comments:

Blogger mshotfeet said...

I'm glad you are ok...seems like vacations and travel are a sign of bad luck for you! Take care!

12:11 PM

 
Blogger Victoria said...

Wow Sarah-
You sure are a trooper. I hope you are having a nice time with your parents and your trip this weekend goes smoothly! How long are they sticking around the guch for?

2:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you read these?
You seem to be kind of lucky (unlucky) with natural disasters. Who else will be able to go home having survived typhoons, tsunamis and earthquakes.
Have fun with Mom and Dad. I can't wait to see Mum and Jodi...
Note spelling of mother!!!
xxx E xxx

1:49 PM

 
Blogger Cinnacism said...

Sarah. Mind-boggling. I'm so glad you and your family are safe.

2:29 PM

 
Blogger Selena said...

hi sarah, glad to hear you're ok. have a great time with your parents!

4:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I thought I was the disaster-prone person. ^_^ I'm glad you weren't concussed with any baked goods and your family survived (and will have a really interesting Japan-memory) to enjoy the non-threatening aspects of Japan. Hope nothing attacks you on the remainder of your trip and damn it girl, sign up for soccer! O_O

1:28 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

hi thanks everyone..what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...so after this time in Japan i will be so tough you might as well call me 'Butch'...

3:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home