Thursday, July 06, 2006

The flood gates are open

I have been starting to say goodbye to many of my schools. The first two goodbyes were to schools that I don't go to often and don't know the kids well, so it wasn't too sad.

Yesterday however, I showed up at my very favorite school and was informed that it was my last day. I thought I had one more day there, but apparantly it has changed. I had no speeches prepared and I wanted to bring something to show my appreciation, but I missed out on that.

First was 3/4 nen sei. We played fun games and I recieved the usual cards from the kids. Then was 1/2 nensei. We met in the gym and I was told I would have 3 gifts. 1. A game 2. A song 3. A thing. First we played the game and I taught them Red Rover. Then came the song. They actually wrote it for me. 'Arigato, Sayonara Sara-senseI....' It was so sweet, I was shocked that they didn't sing me something simple like B-I-N-G-O. Then they all huddled around me and the told them to shake my hand. I have trained this class to give hugs (which is rarely, if never, done in Japan). So I grabbed them all one by one and gave them hugs. Then I saw two little girls crying which got me going. We were taking a group and I had tears streaming down my face. Then when all the rest of them saw me crying they all started. So we had a gym of 20 kids and 3 s all crying. It was really sad. These kids are really special to me. Then they gave me a large card with a of them they made for me.

During lunch they had me give a speech that I concocted as quick as I could before lunch. It turned out well, and I was able to say everything I wanted to, and they all seemed to understand it. They all applauded me and one of the s said it was the loudest applause he has ever heard at that school. It is really nice to know that they appreciate me. They also told me something that every ALT wants to hear. They said I was the best ALT they have had. You always want them to think you are the best but you never know what the previous ALTs have done. So it is nice to be reassured. Man, I am going to miss those kids.

Now only 4 more schools to say goodbye to. This sucks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

oh man! I start next week and I'm dreading it....I started writing speeches today and it's hard. I haven't used my japanese in a writing sense in SOOOOO long! What did you say in your speech?

4:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home