Monday, July 24, 2006

Last Sleepover Party

One of the interesting things about living in Japan on the JET program is the ridiculously large amount of sleepover parties that occur.

Usually when you are a child you get a pink invitation with ballons on it saying something along the lines of "Genna is having a sleep over party. When, Where, Why etc". But here on the JET program you get geared up for a night out or a party and then it turns into a sleepover party by the end of the night. This of course is due to the fact that most of us live a good hour or 2 away from our friends and drinking and driving is prohibited.

I am always baffled by the fact that before a night out, myself and many other people in the ken get dolled up, buy new clothes and try to look fantastic. Why is this when you know that you are just going to end up waking up next to these same people, hungover and looking like hell the next day?

I am happy to say, that this weekend brought my last sleepless sleepover party in Japan. They are always a lot of fun, don't get me wrong. The most odd conversations usually occur, this weekend being no exception. Hannah looked over at me at one point and said "This is exactly like a sleepover when you were a kid except I don't think you ever said 'Steph, go back to your own futon'". One of my fav sleepover parties was at Bruce's apartment when all of his buddies stayed over that same night. Imagine a room with Tom, Lee, Kilby, John, Bruce and a few girls after a night out. Utterly hilarious.

The reason I am happy that these sleepovers are over is because I have never once, in two years, woken up hungover in my own bed at my own house. And to make matters worse, where ever I do wake up is at least a 2 hour drive to my house. That drive home the next day is horrible, and I do it weekend after weekend. So I would just like to say 'Sayonara' to JET sleepovers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Selene said...

Hey Sarah,
wanted to give you a quick call before you left Japan, but obviously haven't gotten around to it. All the best for the heading home. Keep me posted on your Aussie/NZ plans..
xo

1:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo nose sister,
glad you got home ok! Just to let you know that Auz is fab-pretty, international, easy going, a lot of fun-you're gonna love it! can't wait to hav eyou over here ^_^ hope you're enjoing home,
kat xxx

12:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home