Thursday, August 17, 2006

Oh me oh my oh would you look at Miss Ohio

I guess I will start off being a little natsukashii. Our final week in Tokyo was wonderful. Perfect way to say goodbye to good friends and Japan. We ate good food, saw crazy people, shopped and even had a few good nights out. But leaving the hostel on the very last day was nothing short of heart breaking.

Like many relationships, Japan and I have definately had our ups and downs. But through all the mishaps and good times Japan has taught me many things about myself and life. I would also like the think I have taught Japan a little something along the way. Sitting in the airport alone was probably the most lonely I have felt in a long time. Many people from home just don't understand that we have/had a life in Japan. Friends, a home, belongings, and a job. Unless they come to visit and see what you do there, they only partially understand what is going on in your head and heart.

I figured when I arrived home I would be an emotional mess. Fortunately the opposite of that seems to be true. I am reaquainting myself with my friends and home which it has been nearly 6 years since I have lived here (including university). My friends have welcomed me home with open arms and family with the same loving criticisms. Makes me wonder why I have bashed Ohio all these years. It is a good place, and being here only makes me think about wanting to stay.

I am excited to travel to Australia and New Zealand, but I will be sad and a little disappointed to have to say goodbye yet again. Always saying goodbye. I am looking forward to settling in a place, and making good friends and building a life somewhere. I am still young and will continue to be adventurous, but perhaps a little more close to home.

The travel bug is in my genes. I can not get rid of it. I don't plan on quitting my hobby of seeing the world and experiencing other cultures.

5 Comments:

Blogger J said...

I know exactly what you mean about the whole always saying goodbye and kinda wanting to stay put. 2 years is a long time to be away, and i think we all undersestimate that. good luck with your future travels. glad you are happy to be back. let me know if you stop by NY.

10:27 PM

 
Blogger Selene said...

Leaving Japan was huge, and so easy to remember leaving there too. Enjoying catching up with everything and everyone at home, you know it'll all be there for you whenever you come back from being away. Let me know what you plans are for Aussie/NZ, be great to see you!

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Turning Japanese said...

I know what you mean too but I can't wait to see you!!!

I am happy to be home but I already know how hard it is going to be to keep travelling now that I am home. Too many other priorities!

8:32 PM

 
Blogger Pauline said...

miss you!

7:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're glad to have you home, if even for a short while, Sarah. Hope you are enjoying your visit to NoCal -- and it's at least as much fun as your visit to SoCal!

Your friend,
Peg

2:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home