Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Cairns

We have been spending a lot of time in Cairns. I guess to start off a busy backpacking extravaganza we are starting off with a 2 week stay in the north, which I hear is the most beautiful area of this part of the coast. It's most famous attraction would be the Great Barrier Reef but it is surrounded by rainforests, waterfalls and lakes. So the first week has been fairly slow. Kat was able to find a job and we have just been hanging out in the little town that is Cairns. Very touristy and relaxed. One of the days we visited a village in the middle of the bush called Kuranda. We went on a nice hike and got caught in the rain. But that didn't ruin our mood until we were walking in it for more than 2 hours. So we successfully hitched a ride back, which was the first time I have ever hitch hiked a ride.


After many times snorkling in various oceans around the world I decided to try out diving. I didn't think it would be very scary but when you are loaded down with mask, regulator, air tank and wet suit you feel very confined. They teach you a series of skills and you practice them. We dove about 10 meters down and swam just a bit of the reef. I think it was mainly for us to get used to breathing underwater. After that we were able to snorkle the rest of the day, which is my preferred mode of ocean viewing. I overheard someone say that they weren't that impressed with the reef, but that person must live in a world with diamonds on the soles of their shoes because I was extremely impressed. It was an amazing experience. My favorite fish was the Napoleon Maori Wrass which is this big grumpy looking fish.

Another large chunk of our time in Cairns is spent at our lovely youth hostel. It is called JJ's Backpackers and is one of the smaller ones in here. Cairns is actually known for its party scene and we have actually not been out in town yet. Every day and night there are many people hanging our around the tables. I guess that is the key to saving money, drinking cheap booze and chatting with the friends you meet. I am actually the only American of the group so it is great being harassed by all the British. So typically all the travelers that are around are able to stay a year or two, so they buy cars and travel all around Australia. Makes me feel like 5 months is quite short (when I was leaving Cleveland I was worried that 5 months was too long... I guess it is all relative). So I have been searching for the perfect cheap beer since my friends at home spoiled me with microbrews and what not. I will settle now for Toohey's Super Dry. You will see on the table there are many boxes of wine. They call that stuff "goon" and they don't sell it until 4:00 because apparently that is what many aboriginals will get drunk on all day.

So we are doing well here and really enjoying our surroundings. Off for a night in the bush tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger . said...

Howsit mate? Ah bless you drinking my beloved goon! Coolabah too. Natsukashii ne. Glad your enjoying Cairns. Careful with Toohey's Extra Dry, it can give you a raging hangover.

Now you get my name hey?

1:08 PM

 
Blogger Selene said...

Funny, a friend Masato was staying at JJ's when he arrived in Cairns. He's working on a tour boat at Port Douglas now, you should look him up if you're over there!

7:34 PM

 
Blogger Pauline said...

hahaha...don't let your mind wander too much with those crocs around!

ohio is doing awesome this year!!!

7:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home