Friday, February 02, 2007

The Routeburn


In New Zealand there are many "Great Walks" you can go on. Before coming here I decided I wouldn't go on any of these tramps because I am a girl who is on my own. But the more I talked to people the more I started to regret not having gone on any of these walks. Then I realized it wasn't too late. So I went down to the DOC office and booked my spot on the trail. Essentially I was on my own but I took a bus out with about 20 people that would be hiking the trail and staying at the same huts as me. So I wasn't actually alone. The huts are nice, bunk beds, kitchens and bathrooms, so you don't have to rough it in tents. I met a girl called Sandra the first day so we decided we would be hiking buddies. The Routeburn track goes through Mt. Aspiring Nat'l Park as well as Fiordland Nat'l park. It rained and snowed most of the time on the trail with a bit of sun. So by the end all my gear was wet and I had swamp foot. Saw some nice views but I bet nothing compared to a sunny day. So after 34 km, 2 nights and 3 days I completed the track.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow - the south island looks amazing! Have you been tramping through a rainforest, or just through a forest in the rain?

Do you think that I am big enough to enjoy it? Milli isn't, she gets too tired just walking with me to school every day.
Love AJ Pickle

12:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home