Monday, May 09, 2005

Hong Kong- The highlights

Last week I went to Hong Kong to visit 2 friends that I went to Ohio State with. They actually were both in Fisher College of Business with me and both are Hong Kongians (quick cultural fact, Hong Kong people do not refer to themselves as Chinese, they don't like it) but didn't know eachother. For those of you that know me from my OSU life these people were Anna Li and Dixon Lam.

First I would like to comment on how hospitable Anna, Dixon and their friends were to me. Anna and Dixon had itineraries of what I would do each day. I figured I would see them a few times through out my trip, but I saw them everyday. The worst part about traveling alone is eating your meals alone, however apart from 2 lunches I didn't have to eat alone at all for the whole week. Often times they (and their friends) would treat me to lunch or dinner. They were so kind and generous, I can't thank them enough.

Favorites:
1. The best thing I saw was a horse race. Hong Kong men love the horse races as much as Japanese men love pachinko. Anna and I were the only 2 young women in the crowd. We bet on a few horses and Anna broke even, I was HK$30 in the hole. Afterwards while waiting for the subway we were standing on the platform in front of a jam packed train. At one point I looked at the train and realized ALL eyes were on me (and Anna). Never felt so stared at in my life.
2. The best thing I ate was a seafood meal on the island of Cheung Chau. It is famous for shellfish. After a day of strolling around the island with Anna and Gary (HK dude that lived in Australia for 3 years...I really gave him a hard time about his HK/Australian accent) we stopped at an outdoor restaurant on the bay. We ate lobster, crap and shrimp and washed it down with ice cold beer. It was wonderful.
3. The best thing I bought. I did a lot of shopping and even bought an electric dictionary, however, the best thing I bought would probably be my black shoes with magenta and white flowers on them. They are wonderful.
4. The best time I had. Hanging out at the bars in Lan Kwai Fong. Definately reminded me of college days. Perhaps like Put-in-Bay but you are allowed to drink in the street. We saw a lot of foreigners in particular an Irish guy that acted like an American football player.
5. The best feeling I had. Dixon,Anna and her friends Maggie, Candy, and Gary kept telling me how much fun they were having. How they didn't want me to leave. Asking when will I be back to Hong Kong. It was great to make such wonderful friends. They were crazy just like me. I loved it.

Other than that I did a lot of shopping (Stanley market, Temple Street Night Market, Mong Kok, Flower, Bird and Ladies markets), eating(steak, Thai food, Dim Sum, and many martinis) and visiting tourist sights (the new territories, Victoria Peak, Causeway bay, Stanley Beach) but many of them off the beaten track. It was a wonderful week. Thank you to all my Honky friends (and to Tori for letting me stay at her place and park my car at her apt for the week).

1 Comments:

Blogger Selene said...

Oh, it sounds like you had such a brilliant time! Will have to catch up soon!

9:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home