Monday, August 22, 2005

The Best Day in Japan

I had a wonderful day on Saturday. I went to the Isla de Salsa which was a big salsa/reggae festival on Nokonoshima (an island off of Fukuoka). Although it was raining Kaoru, Kon-chan (2 friends that I made here) and I headed on the ferry to the island. The minute we hopped off the shuttle bus I felt like I was on vacation. There were palm trees, bright colored buildings, salsa music, food and drinks right at my finger tips. People were wearing swim suits and just relaxing and having a good time. No uptightness at all. The music was ace! First there was a reggae band on that played some Bob Marley hits then we all took a salsa lesson. Everyone there participated and it was tons of fun. A gaggle of Yamaguchi JETs were there and they all seemed to be having a good time as well. They really got into the spirit of it, I was impressed with their mad skills. Kaoru, Kon chan and I walked around, did some tequila shots, ate some food, washed our muddy feet off in the ocean and then went back to see the main salsa band. They were absolutely amazing and were from Cuba (the place that I want to go the most in the world). It was great to see some Latino men. I miss their machismo and sexiness. They are all superb dancers as well. By the end of the day I found myself dancing with an middle aged/old Japanese man who proved to be a hell of a dancer. We tore it up! The feeling and the vibe of the festival was unreal and makes me wish I chose to live in South America rather than Japan!

2 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

wow sarah, that sounds awesome. I'm sorry I missed it :P

10:27 AM

 
Blogger Selena said...

Im with you about the Latino men. they were gorgeous! maybe south america should be the next destination..

1:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home