Thursday, July 07, 2005

Cruisin'

First and foremost I would like to announce to all of you avid readers of my blog that I passed the Japanese Drivers test, on the first try! For those of you that don't know this is quite a miracle. Now I will share with you my stories, not to bore you but to help future test takers.

First of all this is only a requirement for Americans and South Africans. I believe the reason is because when foreigners come to America they must take a drivers test, so basically Japan is retaliating with the same torture (times 10). The reason that it is times 10 is because it is nearly impossible to pass the first time. In America you could be blind, have 1 leg and no brains and still pass it.

Friday of last week I went and had my preliminary review. They asked me a few questions and made sure I had the proper documents. This took about 3 hours of waiting and going to and from the counter to complete. It was nice because I had a Japanese person with me. I found out that day that I would be unable to complete the test and had to come back again.

Flash forward to the following Wednesday. I had to be at the driving center at 9:00am. I arrived and luckily everyone remembered who I was. I had to show the proper documents (passport, US license, gaijin card, a photo, and translation of US license) and was asked a few more questions. Then I had an eye test, which was easy and a piece of cake. Then I sat and waited about 45 minutes to take my written test. Luckily the people were treating me like a baby and checking up on me every 5 minutes, so I never felt lost or ignored (like I often do at school). I took the written test, 10 T/F questions that were so simple. 'If the light is red, can you go through it?', 'Are you allowed to drink and drive?' etc. Then I got about an hour lunch break. I returned to the place and was allowed to walk the course for my driving exam. You don't take the test on actual roads, you take it in a glorified parking lot. With that in mind, you think they would allow you to pass easily, but they don't. Finally at 1:00 I was able to take my test. I BS-ed with my test administrator about where I was from and my name. I think it was to my advantage that I made friends with the man. I took the test which lasted about 5 minutes, you must pass a broken down car successfully, go through very narrow streets, figure out what to do at a stop sign where your view is obstructed and other things. He corrected me on a few problems, I didn't stop long enough at the stop sign and I curved out before going on a narrow street. So then I waited and found out that I passed and paid some more money. Then I waited again to get another picture taken. Then I had to watch a dumb video. Then I waited again to get my license. I finally finished at 2:30. Let me tell you, I have never been so happy to pass something in all my life. Including all university exams and such. What a relief. My condolences go out to those that must go through this hell, some people more than once. You are saints and deserve a merit badge.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Amazing; I knew you could do it. You never cease to amaze me.

Dan

1:03 PM

 
Blogger Kat said...

Good skills sarah! Omedeto!

1:36 PM

 
Blogger Lauren said...

Oh well done Sarah! Congratulations!

8:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for scrap cars toowoomba
scrap car buyer

12:10 PM

 
Blogger Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
free car removal
cars for cash brisbane

12:39 PM

 
Blogger Metalbiz said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for scrap cars ipswich
car for cash brisbane

12:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home