Monday, June 13, 2005

I could stay here forever

I have a new favorite hobby which comes in a close second to tap dancing. As you have read I have been doing a lot of sea kayaking recently. I can't mention enough how much I love it. The coast in Susa (about 10 min from my house) is the most beautiful coast I have ever seen. And what is even more wonderful is this is my home. For once I can say I live some where that is naturally gorgeous. When going out on an excursion you must paddle through the bay. There is a lot of seaweed in this bay but on a good day there will be a patch in the middle that is aqua blue and clear all the way to the bottom. If you go right out of the bay you can kayak around small uninhabited (besides birds) islands. The water around the small land formations is wonderful. I have spotted many fish and plants. I would be tempted to snorkle around there but this brings me to my first fear. Jellyfish. They freak me out, even when I am in my kayak and they are underneath me. I have never been stung and don't intend on being stung.

If you go left out of the bay you paddle along the enormous cliffs that make up the coast. Many fishermen are on small rocks fishing under the cliffs. They are dropped off by boats at the beginning of the day and picked up at the end of the day. In these cliffs are the most curious caves. This brings me to my second fear. It is official, I am afraid of the dark. Let me rephrase that, I am afraid of the unknown, which results from darkness. You can paddle in these caves and be clueless to where they end. You can hear the water booming like a bass drum at the back of the caves. You can also hear the chirp of bats above you and the drip of water from the top of the cave into the ocean. I love this feeling of fear.

When sitting in the kayak on the ocean I just think, how could I ever leave this? The beauty and the adventure that is kayaking around Susa. Then I walk into school on Monday and I am brought back to the real world. The world of kids sleeping or talking during class, of swearing at me, of teachers ignoring me. How could I ever stay here forever?

3 Comments:

Blogger Selena said...

Sarah, your place sounds amazing...and another year to enjoy it all!

2:54 PM

 
Blogger Selene said...

Do I see Sarah staying for 3 years...!?

5:30 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

don't hold your breath donovan!

11:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home