Thursday, May 12, 2005

Security Blanket

In the summer time many people carry around towels (about the size of a tea towel) in order to wipe the sweat from their face and neck. This use of the towel is acceptable in my opinion. You must be wondering why I am mentioning this now. It isn't hot here, yet. The temperature is quite nice, so there is no need for a sweat rag.

I was sitting in the lunch room today and one of my 2 nen sei boys (about 14 years old) was wrapping his head with his towel. On this towel were many pictures of Doraimon (a cartoon character). It occurred to me that I saw him a few days ago carrying this towel. Another one of my girls is always carrying a blue towel around. The same blue towel everyday.

This holding of towels all day wouldn't bug me if they were using it to wipe their sweat. I truly think these students use their towels as a security blanket. They hold it like a blanket, rub their face with it like a blanket. They carry these towels everyday. I wonder if they cry when their okasan tries to wash their blankie, I mean, towel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

I totally agree....and I think it get's worse the older they get. There is a hs 3nensei in my taiko group and she is ALWAYS playing with her damn towel

5:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home