Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Elephant in the Room

Did any of you see the Gus Van Sant film Elephant? I watched it last night and I don't know if I am lacking an artistic mindset or what, but I really didn't like it. It was dull. The first hour was an accurate representation of high school but it was boring. Just kids walking around the halls. The action started in the last 15 minutes where 2 kids decided to shoot everyone in the school, Columbine-style. It didn't really provoke many emotions in me, because I knew it was coming. What did you think of it?

Why is it called Elephant?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Yeah I was left pretty cold by the film too but after watching it a second time I realised it was pretty daring- it totally rejects the traditional tension-release narrative and just presents you with a starkly, almost hypnotic slice of banal reality...It doesn't give you any answers concerning school shootings, it barely asks any questions which is disturbingly similar to how the goverment handled the whole debaucle...Its not exactly enjoyable but its a powerful and neccesary film, I think.I much prefer it to all that God Bless America saccarine bullshit..As for the title I think you're touching on it with he Elephant in the room thing-something huge people ignore and don't want to deal with.
Phew...lets watch Waynes World soon ;)

12:42 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

thanks kat..that helped open my mind..makes tons of sense..i miss analyzing things...guess that gets me excited for grad school

4:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think it needs some work. I watched it twice as well, after completely feeling lost and inadequate after the first time, but I still didn't come out of the movie with the same kind of resolve that Sarah did. I wanted to though.

4:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home