Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hey good lookin, whatcha got cookin?










So it has been ages, and I am sure you are all wondering what I have been up to. While I was in Dunedin I got an urgent email from my mom saying that I am really low on funds. That got me all worried, because I want to have enough cash for Fiji, so I decided to hault my travels and start to work in Christchurch. I was worried about finding a job for only a few weeks, I hate lying to employers. So I stopped in Timaru (Selene's home town) and stayed with her folks for a few nights. They are great at making you feel like one of the fam. By doing that, as Selene puts it, I weaseled my way into an invite to her brother's wedding the following weekend. I was only going to go to the dance and the bbq the next day, but one of the guests just had heart surgery so I ended up being Noella's date. And boy did we have a marvelous time. The wedding was tons of fun the the hungover BBQ the next day was hilarious. A bouncy castle in the lawn and a lamb on the spit roasts makes any party great, eh?








Selene's brother's girlfriend, Tess, just started a catering business so I have been helping her out for the past few weeks. My dad was shocked to learn that I was doing lots of cooking. He apparently thinks I am a bad cook, which couldn't be more untrue. Ha ha. So I have been up to my elbows in meat for sausage rolls. We do a bun run to local businesses so I have been making friends with all the factory men. It is quite fun and Tess is awesome to work for. I had to clean, debeard and prepare 13 kilos (about 30lb) of mussels. Cooking hint: boil them in sea water for extra flavor.








Now Katsu (good buddy from high school) is in town so I have had a ball watching him and his buddies adjust from being down in Antarctica. Apparently they think it is perfectly normal to strip down to their tighty whities and go for a swim at the beach.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you are still having a blast... why doesn't that surprise me!

Miss you, Del and the monsters

PS to Sarah's dad, Sarah sure can cook a mean thanksgiving feast!

2:28 PM

 
Blogger nowinihon said...

wow! you've been busy ... im going to have to catch up with this, cos Im thinking of doing a NZ trip after jet.

anyhoo just calling in to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIGER!!!!

lots of love, Marko

11:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and spent a most enjoyable evening reading about the last 2 1/2 years of your life.

I remember how excited you were about going to Japan way back in Dec. 03. It's great that everything worked out so well. It’s also good to hear your degree is coming in handy; however, I wouldn't register your job as assistant sausage chef with Fisher Career Services.

My life has been the opposite of yours since graduation. Work in mergers and acquisition, live in Columbus, been married 2 1/2 years, have a dog and have only been outside the US for a total of 3 week (on business).

If you manage to find your way back to Columbus shoot me an e-mail (nines.2@osu.edu) and we can have lunch.

Enjoy your travels,
Ben

1:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home