Monday, August 29, 2005

Just Do It!

My 2 weeks of intensely studying Japanese has ended. I learned a TON, it was a lot of fun, the teachers were excellent and the other students hilarious. I couldn't have asked for a better experience for this summer.

Our last night in Fukuoka we (the students and teachers at my language school) all went out for karaoke. The second week I was at the school there were only 5 students there (I Ling from Taiwan-who was hilarious, David from Italy-who was HOT, Jennifer from Canada-who was nice and Kat and I). We drank, sang and danced the night away. Miyuki sensei (who is about 40, married, no kids) was putting the beers away, I was shocked.

The next day and our last day of class we all showed up fairly hung over. We had class with Miyuki-sensei that day and we decided that we wanted to do a class of Japanese slang. Well it turned that we taught them English slang and they taught us some Japanese slang. One of the other teachers Mika-sensei (who didn't have a class at the moment) couldn't resist and joined our lesson. Kat had a book of really dirty Japanese slang and we read it to them and they confirmed whether it was used alot. We were in tears laughing for two hours straight. Miyuki sensei seemed shockingly experienced. I asked her how to say 'I love you' in Japanese and she claimed they don't really say it. So I said 'what if you really like someone and you want to tell them or show them how much you care about them'. She told me you-like the Nike phrase insists- 'just do it'. That explains the amount of love hotels in this nation.

The also got a kick out of various phrases of flicking people off, especially 'read between the lines'.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to share this treasure trove of dirty words/gestures right? Right?! ^_^

2:13 PM

 
Blogger J-girl said...

Yes, please, share! It would nice to be able to have the ability to INTENTIONALLY offend Japanese people for a change.

5:15 PM

 
Blogger Kat said...

haha it would take a lot longer than 2 hours to teach them all the filthy english out there! and no way is miyuki 40ish, i thought she was about 30! (japanese peter-pan syndrome again...?)

6:52 PM

 
Blogger Victoria said...

it's been so long! update update update!

3:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home