Monday, January 16, 2006

You're so Vain

What do you think of Japanese men?

On average they are obsessed with themselves. They spend more hours preening themselves than they do talking to women. They shave their eyebrows, do their hair nice and pick out a fabulously trendy outfit to prowl around in. In general they look really cool. I am not all about looks, but if a guy has a cool unique sense of style, usually they are either cool or unique. Not these guys here. Or if they are, they sure don't like to show off their personality assets. They shop, play video games and basically don't do anything too interesting. You rarely see a guy engaged in a deep converstation with a women. They are usually hanging out in a group with their friends, giggling and laughing or tickling eachother.

As a matter of fact, just this weekend at Susie Wongs, there were many a 'cool' looking J-boy there as well as many single western (and might I add HOT) women there. Did any of them attempt to speak to any of us (well apart from the two Atsushis)? NO! They were too busy dancing. I know you are thinking, 'what's wrong with that?'. Well I will tell you. They were dancing into the mirrors. Their backs were to everyone else and they were doing their cool moves to themselves. They must spend hours practicing dance moves (because some of them are quite impressive) only to show off to themselves in a bar. You would think they would want to use that kind of talent to pick up women. Or at least have a good time with everyone else in the bar. But nope, they would rather hang out with themselves.

And last but not least, they are shy. Shy, shy, shy. Sometimes the shy thing can be innocently cute, but not so introverted that you get a mumbly and jumbly when talking to a woman. I know a lot of us western women probably feel that Japanese men have no interest in us, but mainly I think it is because they are so damn shy. Think about it, ALL men, no matter what, are deep down kinky bastards. Who wouldn't want to try their hand at something different and, dare I say, exotic??? I actually feel bad for them. Because what is more fun than innocently flirting with the opposite sex. Even if it leads to nothing, at least you have had a stimulating conversation.

But of course there are the extroverted, sukebe*, old men. Instead of being a victim of their play I decided to do as they do and hit on a guy at the ramen stand. I sat down next to him and started talking. I was being insanely silly and I can't exactly remember what was said. But I know by the end of it I had my arm around him and was aggressively giving him hugs. Then I put my hand on his thigh and told him I was only 17. (they have a thing for young girls here) Christine and I grabbed his chest and then his crotch. (i know, extremely inappropriate-but i feel this is cultural research) We wanted to see how he would react. His comment was 'amai' or sweet, meaning he wanted more. I told him that I really liked him and his old friend with no teeth. I really don't know how things ended up. I think I just said my fond farewell but felt accomplished that I was a sukebe for one night too.

*sukebe= dirty old man, or pervert

7 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

haha! I wish I could have seen that! Sarah the sukebe :)

5:06 PM

 
Blogger Kat said...

sarah you metalist! I agree that japanese men are vain sods and its annoying how they never approach you but i must say after being sleazed on by gross british men back home ("my balls, your chin" was one chat up line!") the reserve is kind of nice! ;) well done on being assertive though, its the only way they understand!

9:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahahahahaha!

Sarah, molester of old, defenseless ji-chans. That`s it, I want to see you and Christine in action. Set up a meeting. It`ll be like one of those military demonstration where they showcase new weapons. Sarah, bring out the guns!

10:38 AM

 
Blogger . said...

Well done there chook. I thought I was nuts but you win. You dark horse you. I cannot believe they believed that Lousie was 13! Bloody brilliant.

2:00 PM

 
Blogger J-girl said...

That was definitely the most interesting post I have read in awhile! Unfortunately, I'm at work and other teachers are asking what I'm giggling about... Better go.

11:29 AM

 
Blogger Pauline said...

muahahahahahaha!!! hilarious sarah-chan~

i have to say japanese men are a bit too high maintenance for me--and i've had a rep for preening 2++ hours before hitting the clubs.

9:46 PM

 
Blogger bec said...

How funny is that!! yes i have seen those boys in suzy wongs! unbelieveable! i once decided to try teaching them a few new dance moves, but they were too in love with their mirrors!! losers.

2:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home