Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Year Ago

Exactly a year ago today I arrived in Sydney. I have been neglecting this blog for a while because my friends are on facebook, but I couldn't pass up the chance to post on my one year anniversary in Sydney. (well with a little break)

I can't believe how different my attitude was a year ago. I was fresh from one of the best experiences in my life, Japan (and it was truly that after reading all of my blog entries today) and excited to embark on the next. This go around I am a little less enthusiastic. I have come to a strange city to be reunited with a very special someone only to find that I am starting an average life here. I have an apartment, a terribly boring job and very few friends halfway across the world. No fun trips to the Whitsundays to snorkle, no fun trips to Magnetic Island to see koalas. No plans to do any of this in the next 4 months. Camp was such a great experience that it made me want to stay in the US for a bit longer, rather than go down under.

But here I am, adjusting to becoming a temporary Sydneysider. If nothing else I will look at this as a saving period for the next adventure to come. Will it be Vanuatu?Nepal? India? I have already started looking up flights, though no money to fund them.

I can't complain about everything though. It is great to be around Ed, I like the area that I am living in, I have a nice new flatmate who is doing her best to ease my loneliness and Sydney is a decent city. I am looking forward to more money in my savings account so perhaps I can go to the Hunter Valley for a wine tour, and off to the Blue Mountains for a day hike.

2 Comments:

Blogger Turning Japanese said...

I love you!
Why didn't you come to Melbourne?

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Come back here. Can't you hear it echoing around in your head.
(Melbourne...Melbourne...Melbourne)

You can live in a crappy apartment and have a crappy job anywhere, at least the friends here won't be crappy!

Don't forget we have a comfy couch for visits - Thanksgiving, dance concerts, Christmas...

3:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home