Thursday, February 02, 2006

A List

I was gonna make of list of things that I want to do with my last half a year in Japan.

Much to my dismay/surprise, I really don't have much a list to make.

I have seen what I have wanted to see- I wanted to visit the main islands of Japan, don't think I will make it to Okinawa or Hokkaido, but shockingly not too disappointed about it.

I've visited both rural and urban areas. No real desire to go back to Tokyo.

I have eaten everything that is of any interest. Live-sushi really isn't up my alley, and Kobe beef is too expensive.

I have been to more onsens than you can count (both single and mixed sex).

I have become a surrogate daughter to a Japanese family, so I have no need to do a homestay.

I have tried doing many hobbies including taiko, pottery, welding, and flamenco.

I have studied the language almost everyday since I have been here. Sensei-tachi, you can't ask more than that.

I have kissed a J-boy, but not really dated one, so I could improve in that area.

I have gotten to know my students as well as I could. For goodness sake, they pop by my house.

I have been skinny dipping in the sea of Japan. And been stung by jellyfish for the first time in my life too. It sucks-but doesn't kill you unless you swim into one of those big red ones (right ellen?!?!).

If you can think of any 'must-dos', 'must-sees' or 'must-eats' and you don't think I have, please challenge me.

(I have sucessfully changed my English from perapera English, to the Japanese translations of English. Previously I wrote 'please teach me' rather than 'please challenge me'-which is still remarkably Japanese-like)

9 Comments:

Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Ugh! Those jellyfish are scary. Have you eaten jellyfish?

You have to come my way and try the world famous tofu restaurant. Do it soon cause you will love it and want to come again. It is both delicious and amazing!!!

3:41 PM

 
Blogger Turning Japanese said...

I have 2 more things...

I really really want to see the place with 1000 rice fields. It looks beautiful in photos. I think it is in Wakayama. Wanna take a long weekend and come with me?

Also, in June (I think), Fugu come to spawn in Hikari. Quite amazing. I will go again this year if you are up for it.

8:18 PM

 
Blogger mashio spillip said...

don't forget the love hotel!!

10:38 PM

 
Blogger Kat said...

I tried to make a list gave up, realising i'd done everything I really wnated to do...how about Mount Fuji? Pachinko?And love hotel is a defo, even if its just me and you going Sarah...X

10:15 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

alex, that is some great wisdom you recieved from that lady

Ellen, would love to go on a long weekend to wakayama-and tofu restaurant- how is valentines weekend for you? maybe that friday night or something

Kat- no desire to do fuji, played pachinko my first night in japan

matt and kat- can we make it a threesome??

11:03 AM

 
Blogger . said...

They would like that. ;P

I wonder what rigmarole one would have to go through in order to have a 3 some in a love hotel. Hmmm. How would you get past the obasans at the front desk?

12:08 PM

 
Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Valenine Tofu??? Great idea. It is better for lunch though. You can stay here Friday night and then go there for lunch Saturday. What do you think?

12:25 PM

 
Blogger J-girl said...

Um, actually, there's usually NO ONE at the front desks of love hotels. (It's all about privacy.) However, they do usually have cameras, though most places won't care if there's extra people. Only had a problem with that once and they made us pay extra.

5:55 PM

 
Blogger J-girl said...

...Realised I should add that I was with my family at the love hotels trying to save money, not having some bizarre tryst. Thank you. (Sorry to disappoint Steph.)

5:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home