Friday, August 27, 2010

Lots of Eating Out!

Unfortunately Kat's partner isn't so keen on going out for breakfast, but fortunately I am. Off to Hardware Societe located on Hardware Lane for poached eggs with smoked salmon and chorizo beans on toast. Cute decor using old English china and distressed wood table.

Breakfast on Saturday: Hardware Societe



One of my first meals here was with Ellen and Tomoko at an old favorite from the last time I was here. Our meal was eaten whilst photos were being taken for a new book called "Funky Melbourne" (or something like that). We ate suckling pork, eggplant in a coconut sauce, a delicious fish and all the accompaniments of a delicious Balinese meal.

Amazing Balinese: Warung Agus



Mid-week after work I try to meet up with Kat to just break up the week a bit. She suggested going to a spicy Sichuan restaurant but since there were only two of us we went to the high profile Mamasita Mexican Restaurant. It isn't your ordinary Mexican with a long queue out the door, intricately cooked traditional foods such as ceviches, tostitas, and tacos. Prices were mid-high, portions were comparatively small, but I ended up full and satisfied by the fresh flavors.

Exquisite Mexican, far from my home: Mamasita



After hauling my tap shoes from the US to the UK to Australia I found a street tap class at Jason Coleman's (judge of Australia's So You Think You Can Dance) Ministry of Dance. The timing was perfect, after work on a Thursday, and location even better, halfway between work and home. Though the setting was one of the most fun, cool and exciting I have seen (large prints on the wall, low lighting, warehouse-like, huge studios, leather sofa waiting area) the class left more to be desired. The famous teacher, who was a member of the cast of Tap Dogs was out injured, so one of his students taught the class (she was approx age 18). It was advertised as an adult open class but the mean age was about 15. I felt out of place and unhappy. So sadly I don't think I will be returning.

Initially exciting but ultimately disappointing dance class: Ministry of Dance
(Wish I had a proper image of the facilities)

2 Comments:

Blogger kokuma said...

glad to see this again. it pretty much just motivates me to get out and explore again! so happy you guys are together and in a place that makes sense for you!

8:19 PM

 
Blogger Victoria said...

NO! You have to return. Give the tap class one more shot - if the tapdogs guy is good, it could make your first few months really great. To have something that you really fit into would be great and think how much fun it would be to tap weekly again. I'm glad you started up your blog again. Keep it up!

10:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home