Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Election Time

The quiet of living in the inaka is now being littered with election propoganda. Starting last week politicians have been allowed to advertise their campaigns. I awoke to the sounds of cheering in the distance. There are billboards with slots of 32 people to put a poster of themselves up. Now there are cars and vans with speakers on the top driving around all the neighborhoods of Hagi announcing their plans.

Yesterday while cleaning my car I seemed to be an audience of one to Mr. Miyauchi Kintaro. Mr. Miyauchi and is brigade of followers parked right in front of my house and shouted into his loud speaker about his objectives. Was I supposed to stop what I was doing and listen to his jibber jabber? Nah. I continued what I was doing and gave them all a little wave. I actually personally know 3 of the people that are campaigning, all this comes with being a substantial figure in the community. That isn't actually true, it all comes with being a freak in the community. I was asked if I get to vote. I told the woman I don't think so, and she was surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home